Date:      Fri, 06 Sep 2002 14:32:51 -0400
From:      Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
To:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
Cc:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Tuesday, September 3, 2002, at 05:57  PM, Neal E. Westfall wrote:

>>> What questions which cannot be dealt with rationally?
>>
>> "Is there a God?" "Why are we here?" "What is the one difference
>> between a sacred being and an evil being?"
>
> Some questions are proven from the impossibility of the contrary.  If
> a particular worldview does not provide the preconditions of
> rationality,
> it should be rejected.  For example, the fact that naturalism
> undermines
> the ability to know whether one's views are true or false eliminates
> naturalism as a viable worldview.  In fact, if naturalism is false its
> opposite, supernaturalism must be true.
>
> Moreover, not just any supernaturalism will do.  It must provide the
> preconditions for rationality, ethics, science, human dignity, freedom,
> intellectual disagreements, etc.  Basically, its not that "God" cannot
> be rationally proven as much as the fact that without God, nothing
> could
> be proven at all.  Hence, God is proven from the impossibility of the
> contrary.  It is unreasonable to reject that which is the foundation
> for everything else.

The proof or disproof of God is impossible because the question is
inherently one not of science but of faith.  If there is a God no human
mind could fully comprehend him/her/it.  If no human can comprehend God
then how can God be proven?  Some look at a tree and say that is the
proof of God, some loo kat the tree and say that is just a part of the
ecosystem.  God and the proof of such a being is a very personal
subject, and no one can prove it either way, one can simply decide on
their own.

--Larry