Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:24:55 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Barry Wu <wu_qingbo1969@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem after freebsd ia64 installed on intel tiger 4

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 10:50:50PM +0800, Barry Wu wrote:
> Hi, Marcel, Thanks for your help. I can use com2 to install freebsd ia64
> on intel tiger 4. I use the standard option and install the minimum.
> But after installed, I eject cd, and reboot the system. It can not boot.
> It can not find any freebsd partition info. on my hard disk under efi.
> Why? Some steps are wrong for me? If someone knows, please give me a reply.

If there was a GPT on the disk already, then what's going on (likely) is
that EFI sees the GPT and ignores the MBR. The FreeBSD installer does not
know how to make a GPT partitioning, so it still uses MBR. This can be
resolved by creating a GPT partition with the EFI diskpart tool that has
the right type (see the mail I sent to Diana -- the one with the UUID in
it :-) and that has a matching partition start and size. That should be
it.

If there wasn't a GPT on the disk, then I have to speculate too much. So,
additional info is needed.

Of course what really needs to happen is that we teach our installer how to
create GPT partitions from the word go. Unfortunately, I'm not in the
position to open a jar of programmers and get it done. I can help coerse
people to being a committer if they provide good patches; right Peter? :-)