Date:      Sun, 05 Oct 1997 23:31:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: really strange ppp problems

Hi Alex;  On 06-Oct-97 you wrote:
>  Hi:
>
>  A long while back, after a bunch of commits regarding ppp (like
>  requiring
>  a password to telnet into ppp), I noticed that things stopped working
>  for
>  the most part.  For instance I have a little script in
>  /usr/local/etc/rc.d
>  to start up ppp with -ddial.  Suddenly I couldn't authenticate a
>  connection unless I hit ctrl-c during the script to fork it into the
>  background, and suddenly _one_ of the dial up numbers I used that had a
>  PortHampster ;-) PM3 attached to it connected, authenticated (as long as
>  I hit ctrl-c) but the send/recv lights light up like a christmas tree
>  until the connection timed out (30+ minutes sometimes), the VP of
>  Engineering claims that it's hosting a full load as of my complaint. But
>  at least things still redialed correctly. After a few more commits and
>  make worlds pap and chap authentication stopped working all together.
>  I'd
>  left my configuration untouched with the exception of adding an
>  "account"
>  to /etc/ppp.secrets to allow ppp to actually work and let me telnet in
>  when needed.  I've added deny pred1 to my ppp.conf, and looked over
>  everything.  My isp requires that I use a WEN4/ or ppp- prefix with my
>  login name.  Neither one works.  Now to get connected I have to load ppp
>  manually and dial and login by hand, or use a chat script with my
>  password out in the open (oh joy). I'd love to get chap/pap working
>  again.
>  Any ideas?

No, but similar experience.  In this case, the ISP is very friendly (It's
me :-), The Lingston box is PM2E-R or not -R, and the only thing that will
authenticate is V120.  The V34 dialin script fails to authenticate, and so
will the BONDING.  I have given up trying to figure it out.  The only
apparent difference is the phone number.

The PM's authenticate with a Radius server.  Nothing changed on the PM, or
the Radius server.  It works for Linux and Lose95, etc. but not FreeBSD-3.0
current.

Since I own both sides, I can help diagnose it.  My PPP diagnostics
abilities are limited, but a qualified party can have all the equipment at
their disposal.

BTW, I am sure, Alex, it is a configuration error, but which?

---

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                                 Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net                                  Voice:   503.799.2313