Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:25:02 -0800
From:      Chris Doherty <chris-freebsd@randomcamel.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad 600E and sound

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 12:55:29PM -0500, Jason Scott Musits said:
> Hey all,
>
> I've been trying to get sound working on my Thinkpad 600E with FreeBDS
> 4.8 but to no avail.  I seem to be having the same problem as Boris
> http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/163/2002/8/0/9447156/.  I have
> changed the appropriate lines in /sys/conf/files and am using the line:
> device pcm0 at isa? port 0x52c irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x10
> in my kernel configuration file.  If anyone has any ideas it would be
> greatly appreciated.

I have a 600E running -STABLE, and sound works with just these options:

device pcm
options PNPBIOS

and maybe some BIOS tweak that I've forgotten about. :-) this yields the
following line at boot:

pcm0: <CS423x-PCI> at port 0x530-0x53f,0x388-0x38b,0x220-0x233 irq 5 drq
1,0 on isa0

one thing to be aware of is that pcm and APM do not play nice together: if
you suspend the machine, sound will be broken until the next reboot. I
doubt it's biting you now, of course.

chris

Chris Doherty
chris [at] randomcamel.net

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat
all our provisions now, so we won't have so much to carry."
               -- A. A. Milne