Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2017 20:29:54 -0400
From:      Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail conf files

--fRlBBNMXXmXJ4128MKn32pwcmchE2BHiX
From: Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org

--ncqiBbPimLdILGhuueXVELNBgnN8iWcX1

On 2017-03-30 15:19, Matt Churchyard via freebsd-hackers wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
>=20
> Not sure if this is the right list for this..
>=20
>=20
> For me the most awkward part of updating a system using freebsd-update =
is when it comes to merging files. The most common files that pop up seem=
 to be /etc/mail/sendmail.cf & /etc/mail/submit.cf, because these are inc=
luded in the base distribution and almost certainly change if you actuall=
y use Sendmail.
>=20
>=20
> In most cases this sort of issue has been solved by providing "default =
files" such as /etc/defaults/rc.conf, and letting the user override this =
with files they create themselves. Obviously there is a concerted effort =
to make sure users don't have to edit base files where possible so that t=
hey don't get these sort of issues.
>=20
>=20
> For Sendmail, would it not make sense to remove these 2 .cf files from =
base and update the sendmail rc.d script to run 'make install' in /etc/ma=
il if they don't exist? It may also be nice if the freebsd.* files were s=
tored somewhere else such as /usr/share/sendmail, as these just causes co=
nfusion about which files are actually used if you're new to it.
>=20
>=20
> Personally I'm on the side that would rather have Sendmail removed enti=
rely and replaced with a simple smtp submission daemon/lda but I think th=
at discussion has already been had.
>=20
>=20
> -
>=20
> Matt Churchyard
rg"
>=20

I have a background project going on to replace as many config files as
I can with new ones written in a common syntax called UCL (Universal
Config Language, what pkg uses).

The idea will be to have a defaults file, then override it with your own
file, and/or a directory of fragments (/etc/foo.d/*.conf).

Sendmail is not on the list to get fixed, but most other tools are.

--=20
Allan Jude