Date:      Sat, 07 Oct 2000 21:51:32 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Stable branch

In message <Pine.NEB.3.96L.1001007232657.90573A-100000@fledge.watson.org> Robert Watson writes:
: Well, at least for the purposes of the release engineer, the major change
: is adding a "-b" to the CVS tag operation.  However, and important
: question, which you raised in a prior e-mail, is whether or not this
: places an undue burden on CVS due to expensive branch handling.  My hope
: is that it would be not, but presumably a CVS meister (Peter?) should
: enlighten us.  I have no idea how branching for older versions would work:
: it may be that we just start doing this now, for new releases.

You don't need to branch each release.  You only need to branch those
files that actually change.  Normally a branch needs a tag at the
branch, but we wouldn't in this case because we'd already have one
(the relase tag would already be there).  This would put very little
load on the cvs repo.

Warner