Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 13:01:52 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>, Claus Assmann <freebsd+stable@esmtp.org>
Subject:   Re: non-root /var/run files (was Re: Sendmail, smmsp, and pid file)

On 27 May 2002, at 12:38, Gregory Neil Shapiro boldly uttered:

> pjklist> Funny thing about that, I actually created a /var/run/named directory
> pjklist> for just the purpose of running named in a 'sandbox', chowned the
> pjklist> directory bind:bind, and because I forgot to set the pid file path in
> pjklist> named.conf, I see that it seems to write named.pid (owned by
> pjklist> bind:bind) into /var/run without a problem.
>
> For named, the initial creation isn't the problem, it's the reloads and
> restarts:
>
> # ndc reload
> Reload initiated.
> # tail -2 /var/log/messages
> May 27 12:36:35 horsey named[142]: couldn't create pid file '/var/run/named.pid'
> May 27 12:36:35 horsey named[142]: Ready to answer queries.

Good point, I think I've seen that before.

SO I suppose it's safe to say there is a different method of startup,
IE named apparently creates the pid file as root, then chowns it
afterwards and "demotes itself", whereas sendmail doesn't bother.
(not that it matters, as you mention, since named's handicap is just
delayed)

I have to say that with Bind-9, the fact that it starts as one uid
and ends up as another is a hassle, because it makes logging more
complicated than it should be. (starting as root then "demoting",
startup messages can only be logged in syslog, when I prefer logging
everything to dedicated named logfiles)

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium