Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2012 23:24:26 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, Hiroki Sato <hrs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/print/acroread9 & ldd shared lib errors (fwd)

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 14:29:49 +0200 "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
> wrote:
>
> Quick workaround: did you try acroread8? v9 is known to use syscalls
> which are not implemented (or do I mix 9 with 10... sorry, I don't
> take the time to lookup if we have 8 and 9 or 9 and 10).

Thanks Alexander.
Yes, the choice is current/ports/print/acroread[8-9],

Yes, maybe I should try but unfortunately I probably need 9, as per

	http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ct/ct-online/file-return/online-help.htm
	Click near base of page on "Filing your Company Tax Return online:
	a beginner's guide (PDF 2.1MB)" which goes to online-return.pdf

	online-return.pdf (published August 2011) Page 2 Last Paragraph:
		"You'll need to have Adobe Reader software version
		9.2 or later installed on your computer to use all
		the functionality offered within the HMRC software.
		If you have an older version of Adobe reader, HMRC
		recommends that you download the latest version
		from the Adobe website before you download the HMRC
		software. Although the download is free, it may
		take up to 30 minutes to complete."

(& The combo of HMRC .pdf + Adobe last year was So flakey (using
rec. release of Adobe, not an older release, on MS OS)  I didnt
want to tempt fate further by trying to step back to use 8, though maybe
later if desperate )

I had noticed the warning 8.2-RELEASE/ports/print/acroread9/Makefile
	pre-everything::
        @${ECHO_CMD} "Try print/acroread8 instead if you need Adobe Reader."
        @${ECHO_CMD} "Currently acroread9 port does not work with X Window "
        @${ECHO_CMD} "System because of issues in FreeBSD's Linux emulation."
is not in (chronologicaly ordered) 9.0-RELEASE & 8.3-RELEASE, & current
so I've been using current ports/print/acroread9

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".