Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 08:31:34 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely5.cicely.de>
To:        Kees Jan Koster <dutchman@tccn.cs.kun.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alpha/24177: Patch for fxp on Alpha

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 10:50:04AM -0800, Kees Jan Koster wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR alpha/24177; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Kees Jan Koster <dutchman@tccn.cs.kun.nl>
> To: mjacob@feral.com
> Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: alpha/24177: Patch for fxp on Alpha
> Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 19:46:26 +0100
>
>  >
>  > You don't say which specific platform this is. It's unusual that I/O space
>  > works better than Memory space. It's also true that various flavors of EEPRO
>  > are known to work.
>  >
>  D'oh! I keep forgetting Alpha's aren't PC's. :) Here's the relevant
>  dmesg snippet.
>
>    DEC AXPpci
>    Alpha PC AXPpci33, 166MHz
>    8192 byte page size, 1 processor.
>    CPU: LCA Family major=4 minor=2
>    OSF PAL rev: 0x100090002012d
>
>  I apologize for not including this information immediately.
>
>  >
>  > I sure wish I knew whether the maintainer for this card s active or not on
>  > this. I think your patches are in the right direction, but aren't really quite
>  > what we should be looking for- they could be a lot tighter and should be
>  > runtime as opposed to compile time settable- see isp_pci.c for an example (not
>  > the best, granted) of this.
>  >
>  These are not my own patches. I reported this problem earlier on
>  freebsd-alpha and in the resulting discussion these patches came up. I
>  tried them and they worked for me. The discussion was in the "fxp0 hangs
>  on a PC164 using STABLE" and the "fxp0 hangs my AXPpci33" threads, on
>  freebsd-alpha around July 2000.

Since then I'm running an fxp card in an PC164 on a STABLE (around 4.1-RELEASE)
fxp0: <Intel Pro 10/100B/100+ Ethernet> port 0x10100-0x1013f mem 0x82100000-0x821fffff,0x82200000-0x82200fff irq 2 at device 5.0 on pci0
fxp0: interrupting at CIA irq 2
fxp0: Ethernet address 00:d0:b7:0a:b1:70
fxp0: supplying EUI64: 00:d0:b7:ff:fe:0a:b1:70

fxp0@pci0:5:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x000c8086 chip=0x12298086 rev=0x08 hdr=0x00

>  At the time they were not committed because of their hackish nature, as
>  you have noted yourself. Someone hinted that he was going to rework them
>  in a more socially acceptable manner, but his time seems to have been
>  claimed by more important matters. Since this was months ago I figured
>  that I should try to get the patch committed.

I asume it was lost that some platforms still have problems.
My one is running fine since last year.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de