Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 14:57:47 -0400
From:      Jonathan Chen <jon@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Michael Sinz <msinz@wgate.com>
Cc:        Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS local mount

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 02:38:07PM -0400, Michael Sinz wrote:
> I had been meaning to ask if there was a reason why NFS mounts happened
> before NFS servers were started but life kept getting in the way :-)

If /usr was nfs mounted on a machine, then /usr needs to be mounted before
nfsd was loaded, and portmap/rpcgen lives in /usr and nfsd requires one of
those.  Not to mention there are probably other services loaded before nfsd
which may require nfs moutned directories.  In general, it is a good idea
to first setup vital parts of the system (like networking or mounting
directories) before offering other services (such as nfsd).

Possible ways to fix this includes:
  - do nothing, let those who run these circular nfs-mount systems fix it
    themselves.  Perhaps recommend -o bg in the handbook or something.
  - setup a flag, nfs_mount_delayed="YES|NO" in rc.conf
  - do something in fstab which distingushes nfs mounts which can be delayed
      * a new nfs_delayed fstype [this screams EVILE HACK!], or
      * a new "delayable" option (how's that different from bg?)
      * overload the Pass number in fstab, nobody fscks over nfs anyway.

Thoughts?

-Jon