Date:      Wed, 06 Nov 1996 11:53:32 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        wreynolds@kensco.net
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI Drivers

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996 09:43:52 +0000
"Earl W Reynolds, Jr." <wreynolds@kensco.net> wrote:

wreynolds> I'm installing FreeBSD on a Compaq ProSignia 500,
wreynolds> and I need a freebsd driver for the embedded SCSI controller.
wreynolds>
wreynolds> Does anybody know where I can get such a thing?  I've
wreynolds> scoured the installation manual and can't find a clue.  Do I
wreynolds> have to go out and buy another controller?  Surely someone
wreynolds> has written a controller for the ProSignia.

The problem, I think, is that Compaq doesn't tell you what the
embedded controllers are. I fought a couple recently and had to
disable the internal SCSI and Ethernet and replaced them with our own
boards. This was *not* trivial, as you have to boot from a Compaq CD
to reconfig it etc. After this experience, I wouldn't buy one.

Anyway...

After getting FreeBSD installed, I did a "scanpci" (for some reason in
the /usr/X11R6/bin directory) to find out what the graphics was. It
found not only a (real) basic graphics controller, but also a Lance
Ethernet controllers.  I believe I *could* have used the FreeBSD
drivers on that ether, rather than my own card, if I had known.

Sorry, I can't remember if it found a SCSI controller or not, and I
ran out of time to try backing out and using the internal hardware.

Take a look with scanpci, give it a shot, and let me know what you
find.