Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:17:23 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        Allan Alford <aa@jump.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wangtek 51000HT 1/4"  SCSI-2 QIC 1000

As Allan Alford wrote:

> > How exactly do you do it?  It works for me.
> >

> I've been using the following syntax in my script:
>
> tar -cv /dev/nrst0 /foo
> tar -cv /dev/nrst0 /bar
> tar -cv /dev/nrst0 /foobar

Well, therein lies the rub. :)  You've been using the (default)
rewind-on-close device all the time, but tried to backup the device
node /dev/nrst0 as the first file in each archive.

	tar -cvf /dev/nrst0 /foo
	tar -cvf /dev/nrst0 /bar

> mt rewind
> (tape already seems to be rewound)
> tar -tv

This must be

	tar -tvf /dev/nrst0

again.  Alternatively, you can set the env variable TAPE to it.  (Note
that mt(1) uses /dev/nrst0 by default -- it wouldn't make much sense
otherwise.)

> Also, Joerg, since you seem to know the particular device, I have
> one last question:

No, i don't know this particular device.

> The docs indicate that I can jump the 51000HT to be either SCSI-1 or
> SCSI-2 and yet the jumper maps show no such jumper.  Currently, I'm
> SCSI 1.  Do you know how to set this?

Dunno, but it'll probably only change the way it announces itself in
the INQUIRY command.  I don't think the drive will behave differently
otherwise, so: ``Don't worry''.

--
cheers, J"org