Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 20:09:05 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patches on senderp-ppp.i-connect.net

Rodney W. Grimes scribbled this message on Sep 13:
> > Hi Y'all,
> >
> > This is just a bit of formality and a reminder:
> >
> > Any progamming logic (source, object, executable, etc.) that you may find
> > on the computer known as sendero-ppp.i-connect.net (206.190.143.100), which
> > does not clearly display a Copyright notice authorizing free distribution
> > is proprietary, unpublished source code of Simon Shapiro, Atlas Telecom or
> > both.
>
> I love the work you are doing, but the above statement is not correct.
>
> a) It is not ``proprietary'' unless you take legal and proper actions
>    to keep it as such.  In most cases you have done just the opposite,
>    you've given pointers to it in a public forum.
>
> b) The action of making it avaliable to anyone other than yourself
>    is `publication'', thierfor the code is not ``unpublished''.

if this is true.. and that simply letting people download load it means
that the copyright is invalid (i.e. it's publicly avail), then why do we
worry about GPL'd code?? it's publicly avail.. but we still have to adhear
to the copyright attached...  so why does this apply to his code?

it also only in theory that published material is free... but case law
has proven otherwise..  this is the basis for all intellectual property
law...

> c) Your ftp server welcome message desen't even head any warnings
>    what so ever.

well. that has been fixed... :)

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD