Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 1995 22:42:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Handbook ToDo...

On Mon, 28 Aug 1995, Coranth Gryphon wrote:

> Ok. I'll take "Basic Networking", and "Gateways and Routes".

I'm getting a little disorganized here, did I reply to this already?  If
so, please forgive me...

> What level of technical detail (or what volume of text) do we want?

I guess we should assume that the reader knows what a network is.  Maybe
a paragraph summarizing that tcp/ip is the network protocol used by the
Internet in general and FreeBSD in particular.  That leads nicely into
a description of what information the user needs to know (ip number,
netmask, default router, nameserver etc).  For "basic" networking,
explain how things are done via sysinstall.

Then maybe a brief tour of the most important network administration
and diagnostic tools (ifconfig, netstat, ping, nslookup).

The idea is to get a user in a fairly typical network environment up and
running with minimal fuss.  The other idea is to provide pointers to
subsequent sections (some not yet written) for getting setup in more
tricky situations such as SLIP and PPP connections.

Gateways and routers?  Well, I have read about them, but not having any
direct work configuring/debugging I must say that the reading didn't sink
in very deep.  :)

-john

== http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============