Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 22:18:40 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        audit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: new kldpath(8): display/modify the module search path

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 09:40:41PM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 11:10:22AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > John Baldwin wrote:
> > > To me, it seems more sensible to use the same interface that
> > > ldconfig uses.
> >
> > Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
> >
> > ldconfig is a serious pain in the ass, ever since the "fix"
> > that made it not look in the linkage or configured directories
> > on a lookup miss.
> >
> > This is particularly aggregious if you have a "/opt" or some
> > other place where you prefer to install your ports or locally
> > developed software.
>
> Uh..  Terry.. have you even looked to check what this new
> kldconfig thing is supposed to do? :)
>
> kldconfig(8) does not traverse any directories; it just modifies
> a list of paths.  As other posters in this thread have made me
> believe, it doesn't even need to check for the existence of the paths.

And for those who still haven't seen it, and would want to review
another version (basically kldconfig-01 with ru's mdoc fixes),
here's the new one:

  http://people.FreeBSD.org/~roam/devel/sys/kldconfig/kldconfig-02.tar.gz

The index of http://people.FreeBSD.org/~roam/devel/sys/kldconfig/
has a brief history and links to this and the previous versions :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
When you are not looking at it, this sentence is in Spanish.