Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2006 23:04:01 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>, current@freebsd.org, joel@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS-UP: removed COMPAT_43 from GENERIC (and other configs)

Quoting "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> (Thu, 15 Jun 2006 20:36:57 +0000):

> In message <4491C2F0.6000007@rogers.com>, Mike Jakubik writes:
>
> >What about COMPAT_43TTY? Is this still needed, how exactly does it
> >affect the system?
>
> It adds a bunch of ancient-compatible ioctls to the kernel.
>
> It is, as a principle, not needed, but thanks to the many variants
> of "sh configure" employed in usr/ports, a quite large number of
> ports go "Ohh, this is BSD, I'd better use the old ioctls" and
> break if you don't offer them.

Hmmm, what do you think about this entry for the ideas list:
---snip---
Fix ports which break without COMPAT_43TTY in the kernel.

Some ports may break when removing COMPAT_43TTY from the kernel config.
This is because they just assume old ioctl's when they identify
FreeBSD. The goal of this entry is to identify the ports which behave
like this (maybe portmgr is willing to do an experimental run on the
ports build cluster for this, or you have to install a tinderbox and do
it yourself) and fix them (patches should also be send upstream).

Requirements:
 - knowledge of autotools
 - time and patience
---snip---

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Selling GoodYear Eagle F1 235/40ZR18, 2x 4mm + 2x 5mm, ~130 EUR
you have to pick it up between Germany/Saarland and Luxembourg/Capellen