Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 16:34:55 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, Mike Heffner <aheffner@lakefield.net>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Debugging

On Tuesday, 18 May 1999 at  9:00:49 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Mon, 17 May 1999 09:58:10 +0100, Doug Rabson wrote:
>
>> I don't think LINT in current mentions the new debug flag.
>
> Are you talking about this:
>
> # The `makeoptions' parameter allows variables to be passed to the
> # generated Makefile in the build area.  DEBUG happens to be magic.
> [...]
> #makeoptions    DEBUG=-g                #Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols

No.  Doug's right, it appears.  The flags are for the serial ports
(sio0, etc).  LINT says:

# `flags' for serial drivers that support consoles (only for sio now):
#	0x10	enable console support for this unit.  The other console flags
#		are ignored unless this is set.  Enabling console support does
#		not make the unit the preferred console - boot with -h or set
#		the 0x20 flag for that.  Currently, at most one unit can have
#		console support; the first one (in config file order) with
#		this flag set is preferred.  Setting this flag for sio0 gives
#		the old behaviour.
#	0x20	force this unit to be the console (unless there is another
#		higher priority console).  This replaces the COMCONSOLE option.
#	0x40	reserve this unit for low level console operations.  Do not
#		access the device in any normal way.

In fact, there's also a 0x80, which you need to set (along with 0x10,
it appears) to run remote debugging.  I'm guessing a bit at this,
since I haven't had time to look at the code, but 0x90 works for me.
Doug?

Greg