Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 2002 14:17:12 -0600
From:      "Samuel Chow" <cyschow@shaw.ca>
To:        "Helmut Hissen" <helmut@zeebar.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: more on reducing FreeBSD

> Surprisingly little patching was required in /usr/src, but
> there was some pretty sad looking stuff in openssh for instance
> which needed patching (as some of you have found out :-).

    Are you talking about getting sshd to not do PAM?
    I notice sshd and telnetd seems to ignore the define
    NO_PAM (or NOPAM, can't remember).

> The real fun starts with the miscellaneous stuff, like the
> rc.* and those little /etc/*{tab,.conf} files you never even
> know you had or needed.  Many of those are highly subset-specific.

    I agree.  It is annoying that I don't compile, for example,
    named, but I have /etc/namedb/*.  I know I can remove them
    manually, but it would be nice if these stuff are only
    installed with make install.

---
Samuel Chow
cyschow@shaw.ca

This message is displayed using recycled electrons.
Segmentation Fault (core dumped)