Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 13:40:20 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best way to restrict mass emails?

Lord Raiden wrote:
> Short summery:
>
> 1. Restrict users to 20 emails per hour/20 total recipients per message.
> 2. No restrictions on mailing lists at all.  (except maybe in rare
> instances)
> 2. Give certain users completely different mailing preferences or
> restrictions/privileges while not affecting the group as a whole.

Someone else may have a reply, but here's mine:
I don't know of any program that gives you this kind of flexibility, surely
you could hack together some scripts and wrappers and the like to handle it,
but I'm guessing you either aren't a programmer or are hoping to avoid doing
that kind of thing.
The best recommendation I have is that qmail has a feature called "sandbagging"
that allows you to set a limit on how main recipients an outgoing mail can
have.  The user can go over this limit, but an exponentially increasing delay
is added for each additional recipient. For example:
sandbag set at 10:
The first ten recipients are accepted immediately.
#11 is accepted after 1 second
#12 is accepted 2 seconds after #11
#13 is accepted 4 seconds after #12
#14 is accepted 8 seconds after #13
#15 is accepted 16 seconds after #14
So to send a message to 15 recipients would take 31 seconds, to 16 would take 63
seconds, to 18 would take 255 seconds.
Not a complete block, but sure makes it tough to spam.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology