Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:49:53 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem on 1TB filesystem RAID 5 3ware

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 08:21:38 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.hardware you
wrote:
On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 08:21:38 -0500, "MikeM" <zlists@mgm51.com> wrote:

>Thanks for your follow-up, but I'd caution you regarding the =
serendipitous
>"it's working if I do this" aspect of your discovery.  Those "fixes" =
have a
>nasty habit of disappearing when something else changes in the =
system....

In RELENG_4, there have been no changes to the 3ware driver since Mike
Smith left over 18 months ago.  There were some broken commits made to =
HEAD
for GEOM, but those were withdrawn from what I see.

>=20
>
>I have switched over to RHLinux for the server using the 3Ware card, =
which
>is ironic because I left RHLinux when I switched to FreeBSD a year or so
>ago.  :-)  I'd much prefer to run my RAID under FreeBSD, but I prefer to
>use supported hardware even more.  The 3Ware card is a high-end,
>high-performance IDE RAID card; as such, I am rather surprised that it =
is
>not properly supported under FreeBSD.....

There is precious little anything "supported" by vendors in FreeBSD....
There are more drivers NOT written by the vendor than written by them, =
let
alone supported.  The AMR is about the only one I can think of.  Even the
Adaptec line of cards have limited official support. =20

The 3ware cards in particular I find ironic for this topic in that I make
heavy used of them on FreeBSD, Linux and Win2k and in the past NT4.  In =
my
experience, I have found the FreeBSD drivers under RAID0,1 and 10 to be =
the
most stable of the platforms.  e.g. it took some time for the Linux =
driver
not to complain that the RAID1 array was degraded after each normal =
boot...
The same with win2k.  Yes, the newer 3dm has more functionality and no
there is no support for SATA, but the existing 6xxx and 7xxx cards work
great under 0,1 and 10.  Ever try to install REDHAT 7.0 and 7.2 on a =
3ware
?  Not fun, and that was *officially supported*... Or even the 3ware 6xxx
cards under Win2k. Yuck :-(

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)=09
http://www.sentex.net/mike