Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 19:37:16 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd as a news server?

At 10:01 AM 3/11/97 CST, Joe Greco wrote:
>My basic philosophy has always been to reduce resource contention
>whereever I can.  The nice ultra wide SCSI controller that Matthew
>has probably cost $200-$300.  I can outfit a system with three NCR-810
>controllers for that price (actually more like $120 if I use the real
>cheap ones, a bit risky) and I gain three independent SCSI busses.
>
>I usually like to stripe _across_ the controllers, although I can't say
>for sure that putting spool and history on separate SCSI busses is a
>bad idea.  The real idea is simply to provide as much independent I/O
>capacity as possible.

Not sure if 2.2 supports it, but what about the Adaptec 3985 card and use
RAID5?  There are 3 channels and IO is spread across all 3.  The price is a
bit high, however.

Yeah I know, just what you need: hot swapping for news.  :)

Just an idea.

Definately agree on using smaller drives, but have more of them.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990