Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2012 16:52:13 +0400
From:      Peter Vereshagin <peter@vereshagin.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sharing COM ports to Windows hosts

Hello.

2012/09/03 14:29:20 +0700 Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su> => To freebsd-questions@freebsd.org :
VS> > > There is a FreeBSD box with several RS232 ports. Can those ports be
VS> > > accessed by Windows hosts over the network? Actually, does anyone
VS> > > have a success story for such a scenario?
VS> At least it has an example of an RFC 2217 client (COM port to TCP
VS> redirector) in its README file. Thanks again, will look at it.

>From what I remember the os/2 smb protocol implementation could share COM ports
as easily as LPT ports for printers. I can't remind though if this was for
'printer-only' purposes e. g. output-only, supplied with a mandatory queueing
facilities, etc.,  or not.

Who knows if modern smb protocol implementations could do this, too.

Depending on a task I think the most interactive user-friendly solution here is
a minicom(s) each in its own ssh'ed jail(s).

--
Peter Vereshagin <peter@vereshagin.org> (http://vereshagin.org) pgp: A0E26627