Date:      Tue, 07 Sep 1999 11:34:24 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hoping to configure DNS

>To my knowledge there isn't a huge difference between setting
>up bind for 1000 machines or 5 machines, if they're all in the same domain.
>
>Just my 2 cents,
>-Chris

Well there are definitely a couple of scale issue that you hit eventually.
Whether they are above or below 1000 depends on your intestinal fortitude,
speed, accuracy, organizational politics, etc.

One is that when you're doing a small domain you typically just type your
changes right into the zone file, look them over with a critical eye,
and HUP the server.  At some point on the growth curve you decide that
this is just way too risky, put all your master data into a database of
some sort, and generate your zone files from the database with a script.
Sanity checking is built into both the front- and back-ends.

Another is that eventually some department is going to become dissatisfied
with your service for whatever reason and want you to delegate their zones
so they can manage them themselves.  Once you agree to that they'll
probably turn around and ask you to secondary the zones they're now
primarying.

-Mitch