Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 1997 01:43:43 -0700
From:      Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   options DEVFS_ROOT breaks boot

  I have been playing with devfs recently and tried to use the DEVS_ROOT option
(automatically mount devfs on /dev) but it break the boot if the kernel.

  The kernel panics from :

ffs_mountroot: can't setup bdevvp for root
panic: cannot mount root.

   The same thing happens with an MFS_ROOT kernel also. (I was working on one
when I tried the DEVFS_ROOT option originally) Hoping to attach a patch in a
pr, I poked around in the kernel (find . -name "*.c" | xargs grep DEVFS_ROOT |
more) and it looks like the problem is that when DEVFS_ROOT is defined, a
bdevvp in miscfs/devfs/devfs_tree is used in replacement of the bdevvp in
kern/vfs_subr.c.

   In and adventurous spirit, I just removed the #ifdefs to swap the functions,
so that the DEVFS_ROOT option only adds the d flag to init upon boot. Now
DEVFS_ROOT works. I am curious, why was DEVFS_ROOT swaping the functions at
all?

  Anybody want my patches for that wonder, or do you want to generate them
yourselves. :)

--
Jonathan Mini (j_mini@efn.org)			Ingenious Productions
Software Development				P.O. Box 5693