Date:      Tue, 07 Nov 2000 16:23:12 -0800
From:      Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
To:        "Richard A. Steenbergen" <ras@e-gerbil.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Vern Paxson <vern@aciri.org>
Subject:   Re: tcp sendspace/recvspace

vern said i was welcome to copy this to the list

To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc: Allison Mankin <mankin@isi.edu>, Scott Bradner <sob@harvard.edu>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 00:40:29 PST
From: Vern Paxson <vern@ee.lbl.gov>

I hope they do indeed pursue autotuning, I think it's a nifty solution
to the general problem of finding the right window size.  One effect I've
noticed locally is that cranking the window size to a value like 32 KB
can (1) help a lot with getting nearer to 100 Mbps performance on a fast
LAN, but (2) can lead to throughput *degradation*, apparently due to the
Ethernet capture effect.  So I hope they assess the performance implications
of the increase carefully, in a number of different operating regimes.

		Vern