Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 06:38:09 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, don@partsnow.com
Subject:   RTP tools (was: Re: Remote and Voice control)

> controller and helping Petri for an rtp to mtv glue logic.

this is a very interesting project.

On the same subject, recently I have wrapped up a small "transcoder"
program which can forward bidirectional RTP traffic (both data and
control) between two sockets, doing some data conversion in the
middle. Code (a bit rought perhaps, I haven't had time to check it
carefully) is at

    http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/tcoder971214.tgz

Main use (for me) was to be able to listen the audio of last week's
IETF while at home, where I don't have multicast routing, and the
bandwidth is too limited to allow PCM or DVI data to come in.
In the above case I run the transcoder on a mbone-connected host, as
follows:

    rizzo% tcoder -m multicast.group/portm -u my.home.machine/portu

and it converts incoming audio packets to GSM (or LPC, as I like)
as they come in. The backend at home is vat (or my tel program for
which I am the only user...) listening to rizzo/portu . Worked
very well, and it took about one day to put the program together
(borrowing a lot of code from "tel").

Another possible use is to run multiple tcoder's to send data from
multiple conferences to one vat, or forward from one multicast group to
another one (must be careful to loops in this case... the thing works
much like an ethernet bridge).

In the future I plan to add more format conversions also for video, so
if someone wants to join in and help I'd be quite glad.

tcoder provides all the glue (user interface, open sockets, handle
multiple network connections) so you can concentrate on the real work
(decoding/encoding the payload).

These things are good if they run on multiple platforms. Currently my
tcoder has many FreeBSD dependencies, but I have also a port to
SunOS which I will merge in during the holidays.

	Cheers
	Luigi