Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 23:17:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Vitaly Rodionov <vitaly.rodionov@SoftHome.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE and sound

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Vitaly Rodionov wrote:

> My KDE displays error message during startup.  Something like: "Can't
> find /dev/dsp. Device is not configured.  Sound subsystem will use nill
> device."
> I did  " cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV dsp" , but I am getting same error.
> I've cheched /dev directory, and it contains all device nodes, including:
> /dev/audio
> /dev/dsp
> /dev/dspW
> /dev/midi
> /dev/mixer
> /dev/music
> /dev/sequencer
> /dev/pss
>
> Please, give me any suggestions?
> Thanks
> Vitaly

Try man pcm; it will tell you about the above.  They'll get made with
sh MAKEDEV snd0

You can compile sound support into your kernel or try loading modules.
See the listing of sound modules in /modules/snd*

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC