Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 1998 14:03:03 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Marco Molteni" <molter@tin.it>
To:        Thomas Valentino Crimi <tcrimi+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tripwire was Re: append-only devices for logging

On Sat, 12 Dec 1998, Thomas Valentino Crimi wrote:

[..]

>   This latest discussion has had me toying with the idea of an NFS
> R/O mount for tripwire use

[..]

> in general I think that having to trust the kernel is a necessity.

[..]

>  Where I begin to doubt is what to do for the network connection.  I'm
> uncertain how feasable an attack on the network is, but UDP mode seems
> especilly volnerable to a hacked machine injecting data, I'm not sure
> how NFS woudl react to this at all.
>
>   It would appear to be a good medium security measure, a network attack
> seems infeasable or at least easilly detectable were it to exist,
> forwarding  a TCP NFS over ssh is tempting, but then you have to trust
> ssh (etc).  Any comments on this?

Your suggested scenario is: tripwire over ro nfs mount + trusted kernel,
right? and you are worried about the network. So, what about using
IPsec? IPsec is part of the kernel, and you don't need ssh.

Marco
---
"Hi, I have a Compaq machine running Windows 95. How do I install FreeBSD?"
"I'm sorry, this is device driver testing: brain implants are two doors
 down on the right". (Bill Paul, on the freebsd-net mailing list)