Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 01:20:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Kersten <tomkersten98@yahoo.com>
To:        Wayne Pascoe <wayne@penguinpowered.org.uk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: easy mount question....i hope

--- Wayne Pascoe <wayne@penguinpowered.org.uk> wrote:
> Tom Kersten <tomkersten98@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > The reason I ask is that I am trying to make it
> possible for any
> > user on my system to create a floppy (or cdrom)
> icon on their KDE
> > desktop by right-clicking and going to "create
> new->floppy device"
> > and be able to access that device. I currently
> have it set up where
> > a user can type the mount_msdos (or cd9660)
> command in the CLI, but
> > would like it to be GUI-based, as some are not
> very familiar with
> > UNIX. I have scoured the lists and sites, but have
> had no
> > FreeBSD-specific answers. I have read the handbook
> and have done the
> > vfs.usermount=1 command, which helpted, but does
> not solve the
> > GUI-based question, as it only allows them to use
> the CLI method of
> > mounting a filesysytem. It appears that in Linux
> you can add "users"
> > to the filesystem's entry in the /etc/fstab entry,
> but...this is not
> > an option in BSD...to my knowledge.
>
> I think that you might want to look at the automount
> daemon. It may
> not solve all of your problems, but it will let you
> know what you can
> do easily.
>
> When you have amd running right, the user does not
> need to mount the
> device. They merely have to insert media and then
> attempt to access
> that media (floppy, cdrom, etc.)

Thanks for the reply, I actually have that set up
already, but....I am looking for that "icon"
thing....if I can't get it....I will survive...just
trying to get as "fancy" as I can for the
users...allowing them to use all the available options
in the KDE menus....know what I mean? Someone
mentioned "sudo" but I have read that it is
insecure...not sure what to do.....any other
ideas....????

thanks again for the reply,

thomas kersten