Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2000 21:37:37 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        chad@DCFinc.com, bifrost@frond.minions.com (Tom)
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP Netserver LPr

At 12:43 AM -0700 6/8/00, Chad R. Larson wrote:
>As I recall, Tom wrote:
> > FreeBSD and Solaris X86 run really nicely on them, Linux blows
> > itself apart because the boards use NCR U2W chip sets on them and
> > there is some kind of interaction and race condition which causes
> > ext2 to hose itself on them at random intervals.
>
>We're using LPng (the LP Next Generation) on our FreeBSD printer
>servers.  The driving factor was that our mainframes (Pyramid DC/OSx)
>croaked on the extremely verbose response we got from an NT print server
>status request (buffer overrun, the response for a detailed status
>request gives everything that happened since boot).  We set up the
>Linux systems as prophylaxis for the Pyramids.  Don't ask me why
>we didn't implement LPng on the Pyramids, or why the condoms weren't
>FreeBSD.

This thread has me a little confused.  I don't know what an
'HP Netserver LPr' is.  The first message implies it is some
sort of x86-based multi-processor box, but the second message
implies it has something to do with printing (ie, 'lpr').  Is
this a hardware topic, or a printing topic?

and in the world of printing topics, I assume you mean 'LPRng'
not 'LPng'?

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute