Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2012 14:05:23 -0800
From:      "Robison, Dave" <david.robison@fisglobal.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   One or Four?

Hiya,

A question has arisen with the implementation of bsdinstall in 9.x as
opposed to sysinstall in 8.x and previous versions of FreeBSD.

It has always been FreeBSD's default to create four partitions and swap
as such:

/
/tmp
/var
/usr
swap

The recent changes in 9.x with bsdinstall use a default behavior which
creates only one partition and swap, with everything living under a
single "/" partition as such:

/
swap

We'd like a show of hands to see if folks prefer the "old" style default
with 4 partitions and swap, or the newer iteration with 1 partition and
swap.

This is not a discussion of MBR vs GPT. The default moving forward from
9.x will be to use GPT.

We realize that one can use bsdinstall to create as many partitions as
one wants. However, the new default is for one partition and swap. We
want to know if people would prefer the older style default with four
partitions and swap when selecting "Guided Partitioning" and "Use Entire
Disk".

Let the majority decide which layout is preferred for the default.

Thanks,

Dave

--
Dave Robison