Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2012 19:43:59 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@acm.org>
To:        h bagade <bagadeh@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: problem with vlan interfaces tagging/untagging in a simulated switch box

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

On 2012-Mar-04 10:01:07 +0330, h bagade <bagadeh@gmail.com> wrote:
>I have problems with vlan interfaces on freebsd. I want to make my
>system like a switch with vlan ports and also a trunk port in
>conjuction with other switches. I thought that vlan interfaces would
>help me tagging traffic when traffic is going out the trunk port(or
>when it receives on vlan ports).
>The problem, I've encountered is that vlan interafaces on freebsd do
>tagging/untagging when the traffic is sourced/destined from/to them
>which in this case they should be assigned IP addresses. In other
>words they won't tag the traffic passing through their parent
>interface which I need to.

I am doing this with no problems so I suspect you are doing something
wrong.  As an example, the following creates a IEEE802.1Q trunk on
em0 with 192.168.1.0/24 untagged and the remaining subnett tagged:

ifconfig em0 inet 192.168.1.123/24
ifconfig vlan10 inet 192.168.10.123/24 vlandev em0 vlan 10
ifconfig vlan11 inet 192.168.11.123/24 vlandev em0 vlan 11
ifconfig vlan12 inet 192.168.12.123/24 vlandev em0 vlan 12
ifconfig vlan13 inet 192.168.13.123/24 vlandev em0 vlan 13

Can you post the rc.conf etc entries that you are using and a
description of what you are trying to achieve.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL--