Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 23:16:08 +0100 (MET)
From:      Rudolf Schreiner <ras@muc.de>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intruder Lockout

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Robert Watson wrote:

> I suppose an alternative to account lockout is to have an authentication
> scheme where keyspace search is infeasible :).  I'm not so impressed with
> Kerberos since the DES key cracker was announced :).

tethys% SU ./ktutil list
Version  Type    Principal
     1   des     host/tethys.technosec.com@TECHNOSEC.COM
     1   des3    host/tethys.technosec.com@TECHNOSEC.COM
[...]

Heimdal supports Triple DES and works fine on FreeBSD.
It's from Sweden, so there are no problems with US export laws.

Another very interesting security mechanism is Sesame. The Sesame source
distribution is *(&^#$*&^ and it contains very weak crypto (french
laws...). I made a quick'n dirty port to FreeBSD. Basically it works,
but it still contains many memory leaks. Fixing these problems would be
no big problem, but the Sesame license is very strict. We just could use
it "for experiments"... :-(#

Rudi