Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2022 04:04:05 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel + Thunderbolt Driver

<gerard_seibert@outlook.com> wrote:
>=20
> I was just wondering if anyone had heard or knows when FreeBSD will be
> able to support Intel's "Thunderbolt" technology? The lack of a driver
> that works for FreeBSD has made it impossible for me to update my
> system beyond version 11.4.
>=20
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)
>=20
> --=20
> Jerry
>=20

Hi,

I have a driver in progress.  It works at a basic level with my =
AlpineRidge and
Icelake controllers.  I haven=E2=80=99t developed against TitanRidge, =
MapleRidge, or
AlderLake yet, mostly due to not having hardware.  However, I=E2=80=99m =
curious
about your assertion of =E2=80=9Cimpossible=E2=80=9D.  Thunderbolt3 is =
mostly just a PCIe
bridge with a dangerously ineffective security model on top.  The only =
thing
that a driver provides is an authorization handshake with the controller
firmware that runs the security protocol.  If you turn off the security =
feature
of Thunderbolt via the BIOS, no driver is necessary.

What makes a driver interesting in the future is it being the foundation =
for
supporting USB4.  I have some of that code written.  It also will =
integrate
more closely with the DMAR/IOMMU to provide actual protection against
malicious peripherals, instead of, like I said above, the dangerously
ineffective security model that Thunderbolt3 promotes.

Also, there=E2=80=99s some interesting potential with creating high =
speed
point-to-point packet networks that=E2=80=99s cheaper than 40Gb ethernet =
on a
per-port basis.  The new generation of Thunderbolt4 routers with =
multiple
downstream ports makes this even more interesting. =20

I was hoping to upstream my driver this past month.  Unfortunately I =
wasted
time going down more TB3 security rabbit holes (Pre-boot ACL support, to
be specific), so I=E2=80=99m behind schedule.  Also, I have a =
long-standing problem
with the AlpineRidge controllers that seems to make them very finicky =
and
failure prone, and I=E2=80=99ve wasted months so far trying to figure =
out if the
problem is with my driver or with the hardware.  However, none of this =
is
necessary for updating one=E2=80=99s system beyond version 11.4.  If you =
wouldn=E2=80=99t
mind sharing the specifics of your difficulties, I might be able to =
help.

Scott