Date:      Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:28:53 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein-freebsd-questions@theloosingend.net>
To:        vittorio <vdemart1@tin.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Encrypted filesystem cgd

* vittorio [2005-08-10 12:26 +0200]
>  Is there anything similar in FreeBSD?

As far as I know, there is no encrypted filesystem support in FreeBSD.
However, there are a couple of disk encryption systems in FreeBSD, GEOM
and GELI. Both act between the disk and the filesystem layer, translating
a disk into a (slightly smaller, but encrypted) disk, ontop of which you
could put any supported filesystem.

And by disk, I actually mean disk, partition, file or anything else you
could put a filesystem on.

GELI is quite new, and I'm not sure if it's in any releases yet. GEOM
should be there though. Search the archives and the internet and manpages
for more info.

Svein Halvor