Date:      24 Aug 1998 11:50:07 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SCSI cd driver and SLICE

The cd driver has been broken for some time now on SLICE systems. With
a SLICE kernel, any attempt at doing anything with an audio CD results
in a deadlock (e.g. 'tosha -i' hanging in vn_lock state). The drive
bay is locked solid, cdcontrol can't unlock it (and hangs in vn_lock).
If I try to reboot, the system may or may not succeed in syncing the
disks, but does not set the clean flag on the root filesystem, and
either hangs after the sync or complains about a deadlock and panics
(no dump available, despite running with the fixed kern_shutdown.c and
autoconf.c).

One other thing is that the device nodes for the CD aren't present
(except for /dev/cd0) - I have to try to mount the CD first (which
won't work since it's an audio CD, but will make the device nodes
appear).

Mounting cd9660 CDs seems to work fine.

If someone wants a dump, I could try forcing a panic with the kernel
debugger and see if it dumps.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - dag-erli@ifi.uio.no