Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 1996 16:43:16 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        rama@easynet.fr (David Ramahefason)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hardware Users), scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with an HP DAT 35480 A 1109

David Ramahefason writes:

> On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Julian Elischer wrote:
>
>> David Ramahefason wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm trying to have an Amanda server on my FBSD box, but seem to have
>>> problems with my DAT drive...
>>> When I issuse a tar cvf /dev/nrst0 * I always get an I/O error. I've
>>> tryied different tapes, but got the same result.
>>> Did I forgot something on my config, is the driver buggy ?
>>> Please HEEEEELP.... I'm working on it for a week now.
>> what KIND of error?
>>

> Well, it starts to backup and few seconds later I got a tar error:
> unable to write : I/O error.
> If I take a look to the console log,
>
> /kernel:st0(bt0:3:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:28, 0
> /kernel:st0(bt0:3:0): Not ready to transition, medium may have changed
>
> and sometimes I get:
> /kernel:st0(bt0:3:0): HARDWARE FAILURE asc:44,0 Internal target failure

It's broke.  It must be more than 3 months old.

> Where is the problem ? Is the tape drive dead ?

Yes.

> Oh, my SCSI card is a Buslogic 946 (PCI)

I don't think that makes any difference.

I have been through a long line of 34780s, and they have all died on
me.  The last one is just doing it now.  We've been through this
discussion a number of times: it's not just my bad luck, they're
crappy drives.

You *could* try multiple passes of the cleaning cassette.  If you're
lucky with that, I'd be interested to hear it.

Greg