Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 12:53:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>
To:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: is our printf(1) behavior correct w.r.t \0 escapes?

On 28-Jan-2003 John Reynolds~ wrote:

> [ On Tuesday, January 28, Conrad Sabatier wrote: ]
>
>> It may very well be that printf (or libc?) has a bug under -stable.  Are you
>> using any unusual optimization settings in /etc/make.conf, by the way?  When
>> did you last upgrade?
>
> nope, nothing unusual.
>
>  CFLAGS= -O -pipe
>
> The last time I updated and installed world/kernel was Dec 26th of 2002
> (4.7-STABLE).
>
> Maybe if it's not a libc problem but just a printf(1) src problem we could
> get an MFC done ...

Unless it's already been done.  :-)  Can you check the RCS Id in
/usr/src/usr.bin/printf/printf.c?  Here's what I have:

$FreeBSD: src/usr.bin/printf/printf.c,v 1.26 2002/09/04 23:29:05 dwmalone Exp $

> Thanks for the info. At least we know that -current acts like other OS's.

Now, if we have identical versions, we have a bona fide mystery on our hands
here.  :-)

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> - "In Unix veritas"