Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 15:26:39 +0200
From:      "Martin" <mlpotgieter@hotmail.com>
To:        "Freebsd-Questions@Freebsd. Org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   checkpassword, qmail and FreeBSD 4.4 Release

Hello list,

This is probably a bit OT but I posted it to the qmail-password list

and the list does not seem to be very active and seeing that FreeBSD

is involved I thought I would try here.

I am having problems getting checkpassword to work on my FreeBSD

Release 4.4 machine. I have searched and found someone that a

had a similar problem but no solution was posted. I followed the

instructions on http://cr.yp.to/checkpwd/install.html and when

I simulate (as suggested on the install page) a login it works.

However when I telnet to port 110 and provide correct username and

password I get "-ERR authorization failed". I also set up a POP3

client on another machine and I get the same error.

Someone suggested that it could be because FreeBSD uses

"/etc/master.passwd" instead of "/etc/passwd" but if this was the

case then even the simulation would not authenticate and it would

probably be documented somewhere.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

TIA,

Martin Potgieter