Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:28:41 -0600
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Jim Spring <jims@innerdot.com>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jdk1.4 plugin

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 12:50:42PM -0700, Jim Spring wrote:
> Thanks to the recent patchset, jdk1.4 built cleanly and for most
> purposes is working well for me.
>
> The one thing I have not had any luck with is using the plugin.
> I'm running 5.1-Current (as of about a week ago).  I've set the
> plugin up per the FAQ on mozilla (ie, make the softlink).  I am
> using:
>
> /usr/local/jdk1.4.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>
> When I startup Firebird, it still is giving an error that it can't
> find shared objects.  The first is libdl.so.2, which appears to
> live in /usr/compat/linux/lib.  Setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
> include this, I am then prompted for libgcc_s.so.1.

The fact that it complains about a missing libdl.so.2 should be an
immediate red flag.  This is a Linux shared library!  There is _no
way_ the FreeBSD version of the plugin is linked against libdl.so.2.

Please check that you don't have the Linux version of Firebird and
that the browser plugin symlink is correctly pointing to the FreeBSD
plugin.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org