Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 22:23:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        Chris Lopez <swim@avst.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: capabilties

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Chris Lopez wrote:

->Hi asked recently about your product, and I was wondering if by my
->current situation you could determine if FreeBSD was the best for me.
->Again I am not a UNIX hacker so bear with me...
->
->	I am a student at George Mason Univ. and I am taking a C++ class. I
->need to be able to:
->
->	1. Have a system (FreeBSD?) that could possibly connect with an
->UNIX system  called OSF1 (they say it runs a version called
->Berkley?)

Any of the free Unices can do that. Even MS-DOS with TCPIP
software. You might be better off using what your friends use. The
Delorian gcc (djgcc, I think) is available for MS-DOS, if that's your
only alternative.

->	2. The system needs to have an application (I think they call it
->VI) where I can create, edit and compile C++ programs.

Any text editor works -- I like emacs. (Vi and emacs are available for
most platforms.)

->	3. If I can connect to the school UNIX system is it through
->dialup using my ISP? (Erols by the way)
->

Sure -- but your school probably provides free access. Check with
administratin or your cs center.

->	My class just recently started and I am getting desperate here.	PLEASE
->HELP ME!!!
->

Unix is not load and go. Be prepared to invest some effort
learning. Good luck.

-- Jay

->			Thank you for your time,
->			Chris Lopez