Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 13:22:21 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG, archie@wistle.com, brian@FreeBSD.ORG, Dru Nelson <dnelson@redwoodsoft.com>
Subject:   Re: pptp over NAT? Impossible?

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 12:51:31PM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 02:06:12AM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> > I've been beeting my head against a problem that I think
> > I suddenly understand..
> > I've been trying to run a pptp session out from an address translated
> > network (i.e. ppp -nat). It gets so far tand then stops.
> > It has suddenly (after a day wasted) occured to me that
> > maybe the ppp negotiation is being carried by GRE and that
> > I'm guessing that GRE is not translatable.. (At least by
> > ppp -nat). (what's happenning is that the ppp negotiating packets are
> > getting lost in transit.)
> >
> GRE is supported in different way, see `nat pptp [addr]' in ppp(8),
> and PacketAliasPptp() in libalias(3).

By the way, I see no reason why PPTP support is limited to only
one local IP address.  It *is* possible to improve PPTP support
by introducing the following interface:

int PacketAliasPptp(
	struct in_addr local_addr,
	struct in_addr remote_addr,
	struct in_addr alias_addr
);

where `local_addr', `alias_addr'  and `remote_addr' are of the same
semantics as in PacketAliasRedirectPort() (see libalias(3) manpage).

If Brian does not mind, I will implement this, then patch natd(8),
wait until Brian prepares patches for ppp(8), commit the change to
libalias(3), bump library's major number, and commit the rest to
natd(8) and ppp(8).

Comments?

--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the