Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 06:04:24 +1100
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Chris Cook <ccook@tcworks.net>
Cc:        Michael Schoensee <michael@tuxcom.net.mx>, Tom ONeil <tom.oneil@tacni.com>, Free <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FTP extremely slow

Chris Cook wrote:

> Michael Schoensee wrote:
> >
> > I had to/from a freebsd box speeds of 6-8 KBps.
> >
> > I changed almost anything: card/HUP/media with no result.
> >
> > * It was the UTP-cable * !!
>
> But our problem is only to/from some FreeBSD boxes to another... My
> FreeBSD workstation and all Windoze clients seem to work extremely fast.

Hmmm, well if they are all connected with the same NIC to the same HUB/Switch
then you should look at cables and settings...
If how ever you have different NICs or they are on a different HUB/Switch then
you need to look at things like duplex settings, media and other things that
*should* be auto sensing...
Some NICs are not compatible with some HUBs, this is all because there is no
real standard for how NICs should be programed...

Of cause if everything is the same brand then unless this is some strange
software problem its time to start switching cables around... Although it
seems silly that its cabling to a lot of people, I have seen things like this
caused by cable too close to high voltage and other magnetic interference,
also badly made cables are out there...

I am interested to see what this ends up being...

Good luck!