Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2000 23:46:11 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Dave Preece <dave.preece@kbgroup.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quickie: C++ statically linked into kernel?

In message
<67B808B0DD93D211ABEE0000B498356B02BCC2@internet.kbgroup.co.nz> Dave
Preece writes:
: > I implemented only new and delete
: > and was able to get sample code to run in the kernel.
:
: Euuww. So the default new and delete need to be overloaded with the kernel
: mode variety? (the three-parameter'd one from sys/malloc.h)? Right, OK.

No.  I implemented operator new() and operator delete() ala the
standard and converted them in to calls to malloc.

: > I punted at
: > that point due to the pain in actually knowing if these things were
: > being used or not.
:
: Due to the pain of not knowing if the overloaded new and delete were being
: used?

No.  Due to the pain of the compiler creating things for me behind the
schenes.  Also, I had more instability in the kernel when I had this
enabled for reasons unknown.  Likely due to the 2.7.x g++ we had at
the time.  There were also some other problems that I don't recall now
too that also lead me to the decision to punt.  Sadly, I no longer
have a copy of the stuff (I just looked).  That was two disk crashes
ago and was one of the reasons I converted to be a dues paying member
of the church of the daily backup :-)

Warner