Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2006 02:35:32 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X11 installl dependencies not complete, doesn't result in running X11

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 08:28:27AM +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> the x11 dependencies, when installing an x11 based software,
> are incomplete.
>=20
> If you have no ports installed yet and install an X11 based
> software like a windowmanager, then I would expect, that
> our ports collection installs at least a minimum working X11 installation.
>=20
> But it does not. It installs xorg libraries but no xorg server and no
> needed fonts to run the X11 server.
>=20
> After installing the xorg server manually, and running
> Xorg -configure and then try to run it, then you will see
> that it still crashes because of missing standard fonts.
>=20
> For example the fixed fonts were missing.
>=20
> Would it please be possible to fix the xorg ports dependencies,
> so that xorg gets installed useable if one chooses to install
> an x11 based software ?
>=20
> Normally our ports collection works this way to resolve
> build-, install-, run-dependencies completely. But in the
> X11 case I see since a long time (years) that it fails
> miserably in this.
>=20
> Is there a certain intention behind it ? Don't tell, because
> there are 2 X11 servers in the ports collection. Since then
> it would be another mistake that the xorg-libraries gets
> installed the way it works now ...

In principle you don't need a local server to run a window manager,
you can use the standard X forwarding to run it on a remote server.
Similarly, you don't need a full set of fonts to run a viable server.

If you want a complete X installation including server, fonts, etc,
install the xorg port, not just the xorg-server or xorg-libraries
ports.  This has been the case since a long time (years), so I guess
it's just time you caught up to the way things work ;-)

Kris

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA--