Date:      Thu, 06 Mar 1997 17:16:42 -0500
From:      Red Barchetta <paradox@pegasus.rutgers.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   wtmp inconsistencies under XFree86

I recently noticed that when I log in to my computer (running
2.2-GAMMA-970225) using XFree86 3.2, the entry in /var/log/wtmp is made
incorrectly.  The date and time for X logins is almost invariably
recorded as December 31 at 7:00 p.m., as in the sample 'last' output
below.  I have seen a few examples with different times, and a few that
were garbled (various non-standard characters, control characters,
etc.).  As you can see from the second (terminal) entry, non-X logins
are recorded without a problem.  Has anyone else noticed this behavior,
and does anyone have any suggestions?

Output of 'last nomad'. (/var/log/wtmp was cleared on March 6 at 4:50
p.m.)

nomad     ttyp1                     Wed Dec 31 19:00   still logged in
nomad     ttyv0                     Thu Mar  6 16:54   still logged in

wtmp begins Thu Mar  6 16:54

As far as my configuration goes, I have not touched the files in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config, so I have not modified the behavior of
XFree86 in any way.

Thanks for any help.  If possible, please forward a copy of any
its high volume.

Thanks a lot!

Ernie Pistor