Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 1998 20:45:58 +0200
From:      Roland Jesse <jesse@prinz-atm.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Create some MP3s

Hello,

Not so long ago, somebody asked for a way to create MP3s out of the CD-Rom
drive. I did not keep the email, therefore this new thread.

I just figured out a procedure that works for me. It's a combination of
tosha, sox, and 8hz-mp3. I set up three little zsh commands which look as
follows:

# cd2raw <track-nr.> <base-name>
cd2raw () { command tosha -v -t $1 -o $2$1.raw }
# raw2wav <base-name-nr>
raw2wav () { command sox -V -t raw -r 44100 -w -s -c 2 $1.raw -t wav $1.wav }
# wav2mp3 <base-name-nr>
wav2mp3 () { command 8hz-mp3 $1.wav $1.mp3 }

tosha only works with SCSI CD-Rom drives, so this won't work for IDE ones.
But maybe this helps someone besides me, too.

BTW: On my machine 8hz-mp3 needs only about 24 minutes to encode a 4:40
min song. MPegEnc (or something similar) for Windows takes about twice
that much. ;)

Have fun.
		Roland