Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 18:02:32 +0100
From:      Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>
To:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porting NVidia linux kernel modules to FreeBSD

Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm quite interested in having true 3D hardware acceleration on my ASUS
> AGP-V3800Magic video card based on TNT2 M64 chip, while running
> XFree86-4.0.2 on FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE.

<AOL> Me too </AOL>

3D acceleration (or the lack thereof) is supposed to be one of the
reasons why XFree 336 is still the standard version delivered for
FreeBSD.

I have not searched exactly how it is possible to have glx acceleration
with 336 and NVidia boards, but Iwould be intersted to know if some
how-to existed (I've switched to 4.0.x as this should have been the way
to DRI and fully-supported, OS-independant, 3D acceleration)

nevertheless, the NVidia "Linux kernel module" seems to be a
encapsulation of their Win$$ driver, so as to be usable under Linux.
Maybe the careful study of the source included in the "kernel module"
can give some hints on how to do the same kind of wrapper for FreeBSD

	good luck

--
Thierry Herbelot