Date:      Sat, 7 Feb 1998 23:03:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Damon Permezel <dap@damon.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   MMX, pentium, etc

I have a Java app which uses some intensive FP, for which I have
written native (aka: C) routines to accelerate.

I am getting to the point where I am once again tapped out, so I want
to explore hand coded MMX instructions in my (unrolled, hand optimized)
inner loops.

I have "ordered" the MMX dox from INTEL, and expect them any day now,
so I need to start preparing for the next step: namely a gcc/gas which
understands the MMX mmxnomnics.  A .h file with nice asm macros already
defined for the instructions would be nice also (although, I can type
if pressed).

I've seen discussions on MMX here, and on pgcc. I went to build the pgcc
port once, and was informed that it was broken.

I am running -current, cvsupped, cvsupping ports, and there is no
Makefile in ports/lang/pgcc*.  I suspect I might get a bit of a perf boost if
I were to use pgcc.

Help?