Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 2006 09:38:57 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Ralf Folkerts <ralf.folkerts@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/96516: FreeBSD/amd64 intermittent Network-Problems

On Saturday 03 June 2006 08:32, Ralf Folkerts wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 02.05.2006, 16:18 -0400 schrieb John Baldwin:
>
> Hi John,
>
> > On Tuesday 02 May 2006 14:02, Ralf Folkerts wrote:
> > > Am Montag, den 01.05.2006, 14:11 -0400 schrieb John Baldwin:
> > >
> > > Hi John,

GNATS.

Network-Problems

> > > ok, I'll give that a try! Will it be sufficient to just remove the
> > > Driver or should I remove the Sound Card and disable USB in BIOS? Also,
> > > will Sound and USB be all? Should I also try another Graphics Card?
> >
> > Just removing the driver should be fine.  Mostly I want to see if turning
> > off the other devices listening on IRQ 21 helps.  If it does then I'd like
> > you to try just turning one of them off at a time to see if it is related
> > to one of the devices.
> >
> > > However, as the problem just occurs intermittent (sometimes it doesn't
> > > show for 2 - 3 weeks, then again it happens 3 times a day) it may take a
> > > bit for me to get back to this; I'll try to run some "heavy" tests at
> > > latest over this weekend...
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > _ralf_
>
> well, I turned off Sound on the 2nd May and it seems it "cured" the
> Problem; at least, also I ran several "stress"-tests, the machine ran
> fine and didn't show the "Interrupt Storm" Error.
>
> Now, how should I go on? I could enable Sound again and raise the
> "Storm-Limit" via sysctl and close the PR. However, as I already
> exchanged Sound Card, NIC and Mainboard (and all these Components
> (except for the Mainboard) work fine in a i386 FreeBSD-machine) it seems
> there is either something wrong woth the Chipset-Support in
> FreeBSD/amd64 OR the Chipset itself may be buggy, the Board's Design
> could be crap or something like this.

What this tells me is that it may be a bug in the driver for your sound
device.  Can you work with the folks on multimedia@ to debug this further?
Specifically, they probably need to verify what the interrupt status register
for the sound card says when it starts storming.  It may be that the driver
isn't handling some specific interrupt condition.

--
John Baldwin